Friday, October 19, 2007

Dangers ofthe "Bless Me" Club

LISTEN TO AUDIO

Orphans are starving. And many in the pews cry, “Bless me Lord!”
Persecuted Christians are suffering. And thousands on Sunday morning pray, “Prosper me God!”
Half the world has yet to hear the wonderful message of Jesus. And people gathered around their television sets say, “Oh, give me a raise, give that promotion, this is my year of increase!”

Each Sunday there are men behind pulpits who have made successful careers out of appealing to people’s self-centered greed. In the name of Jesus they teach people to covet, focus on them selves, and believe that God is pleased with narcissistic quests for “more and more”. While at the same time, billions of souls, who’ve yet to hear the Truth even once, struggle to survive on less than two dollars a day.

Smiling false teachers have turned God into a genie in the sky who thrives on words of positivity from egocentric worshippers.

Paul, 1 Tim 6:5b, speaking of those who teach false doctrines, warns us that they often “…think that godliness is a means to financial gain.”

My fellow “devotionalists” I beg you, flee from such teaching, run from the doctrines that espouse spirituality as a means of prosperity.

We don’t come to Christ in order to make our lives better. We surrender to Christ because He is the Holy King of the Universe who laid down His life so that we could be forgiven and live. We worship Him because it is the logical response to who He is and what He’s done.

Godliness is not a means to financial gain and we should reject the pastors of the “Bless Me” Clubs who say that it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

.....makes me wonder what you really think about families and people who have financial means for whatever reason. The way you talk about money and giving makes me feel as if you have swung to the side a "true" Christian cannot be rich financially, and if they are, then their life is sliding out of God's will. Is that where you are coming from?

Jim Morgan said...

As a person who is in the top 8% of the wealthiest people on the planet (if you have spare change on your dresser that you do not use for daily sustenance- you are richer than 92% of the world) I am not taking an issue with wealth in it's self. "Amount" of money is not my point.

My issue is with people/teachers who make wealth and prosperity the goal for life and embrace a self-centered egocentric world view that puts "me" and "my" pleasure at the center of the universe and has little concern for the widow, orphan and stranger.