Friday, October 5, 2007

A Worthy Goal

LISTEN TO AUDIO



I’m firing up the BBQ. What’s the goal? Dinner.
I’m brushing my teeth. What’s the goal? Pearly whites.
I’m praying for everyone I know, especially governmental leaders. What’s the goal? Leading a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. That is a great goal.

Here’s a goal setter himself, our man Paul, with 1 Tim 2:1-2 “Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.”

When I was a kid I wanted to grow and be something exciting. That was my goal: private detective, astronaut, ninja, something like that. But now I’m pushing forty and, while I still want to lead a radical and productive life for Jesus, my soul thoroughly resonates with Paul’s goal of a peaceful, quiet life in godliness and holiness.

Quietness. Mmmm sounds delicious.
Peacefulness. Makes my mouth water.
Godliness and holiness. There is nothing I crave more.

So, assuming I am not alone and that you also recognize that quiet, peaceful lives lived for God are a most excellent goal, why do we fill our lives with so much complexity and so little prayer?

For most Americans the TV is always on in the home, the radio is always on in the car and our mouths are always open when we are with friends. By our actions we betray our supposed goal of peace, quiet and godliness, and instead set our sights on more stimulation, more possessions, more activity and more debt.

Our goal will not be met by taking a luxury cruises, buying bigger homes, trading in the current spouse, or becoming the ninja we always wanted to be. Our goal of serenity in Jesus is only obtainable only on our knees.

So, pray every way you know how, for everyone you know, especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about the business of living simply, in godliness and reverence. A worthy goal indeed.

No comments: