Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Afraid of Who is Watching





I’ll admit it. I am a better driver when a police officer is behind me. Knowing that my actions are being scrutinized causes me check my speedometer and make sure that my seat belt is fastened. Unless a person has money to burn, there is wisdom in being afraid of a traffic ticket.

Consider this: If it is wise to be afraid of the scrutiny of a police officer, how much more should we be terrified by the scrutiny of a Holy God who sees everything and misses nothing?

Proverbs 9:10 tells us that, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”

In other words, the foundation of wisdom, the very first step toward being wise, is being afraid of the Lord’s unrelenting gaze. Are you wise? Are you afraid? Most people aren’t.

Check your speed, make sure your seatbelt is fastened, but don’t stop there. Check your heart, listen to your words, give great thought to how you treat the ones you love and the ones you don’t.

As we take the time to look into our rearview mirror we will see that there is always someone following us and examining our every move; the God of Glory who hates sin and despises transgression.

If you are not afraid of that fact, then you, my friend, are less than wise. You’re just plain dumb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the song tagged at the end!!!